Welcome Guest,

I'm glad to connect with you here. This is my official online diary where I scribble my thoughts and experiences as an Architect. Subscribe to this blog if you wish to be notified of every new post I make. It also qualifies you to get a free author's signing of my e-book: 48-Laws-Of-Architectural-Consulting!

Type a Keyword to Search This Blog

IGBO CENOTAPH PROJECT

By Kosi Emmanuel Chukwujindu
Architect, Geometrix Consultants, Abuja.

Kosi Emmanuel Chukwujindu
Proposed Igbo Cenotaph Project, Enugu
What makes a particular design stand out in an Architect's heart?  After all he does a lot of them in a very random order and in no stipulated time intervals. could it be the amount of work he put into it? ..but he invests just as much time in other projects too. Or is it the Kind of client, How they met or how he got commisioned to the job?..Very many things could influence what project an Architect gets emotionally attatched to.
For Me, It is that abstract self fulfillment, That feeling I get when I have just created something out of the blue, In general; I value projects which I created the original concept from my own scratch. It gives me the feeling of a creator!..and when you have all it takes (in terms of Visualization) to convey this idea to another human being, It is so much Hilarious.

It was a special sunday. Sabby was around and we were together at jerry's. we had just finished having lunch and relaxing when my boss called. My heart jumped, I was supposed to be in Abuja, and the E.N.S.I.B.U.M site plan was supposed to be near completion by now. But It wasnt and I was states away from the office #chilling#

At first I ignored the call, but she persuaded me to get it. When I picked up, he informed me that I was to pause the market job and start developing a presentation for a CENOTAPH. I had never heard the word before. T'was new, I needed some bringing up to speed. #Google# (but behind him, of course).
Not just that, I had to meet him, in the office the following day with the sketches. This meant I had less than 12 hours to come up with something! - welcome to Architorture.

Well, the first thing you should do, when you're under this kind of pressure is to make sure you understand WHAT you are required to do. Once you have this clear mental picture, you have almost solved the problem.
This was exactly what I did. I went and read up about Cenotaphs.I learnt It was a memorial structure usually erected in honor of dead soldiers lost in a war or natural occurence. I studied other cases around the globe, and once sure, I began making conceptual sketches. I spent the next day on the road back to Abuja. When I got there, I learnt I was to do a presentation In Enugu on wednesday, which means I had just Tuesday to package the presentation.
The image you see above is what we came up with after short deliberation together. It is so far my best project, because I developed the idea from No-THING!

go here to see full IGBO CENOTAPH PROJECT presentation ppt.